Wednesday, December 2, 2009

It's December the 2nd and so far we've had a few light frosts. Many plants are still green and a few are still blooming. Here is Viburnum pragense which will keep its foliage all winter.
(Click on pictures for a better look)


Magnolia grandiflora Victoria, though not the hardiest, has done well for me.





A nice evergeen grouping, Prunus laurocerasus (evergreen cherrylaurel, top) Polystichum (Christmas fern, middle) Aucuba (bottom).




This is the first year for the hardy Cyclamen so I'm not sure if it's evergreen, but it looks good so far.




The flower is out of focus (I need a new camera) but this Lithodora has been in bloom all summer. You can't beat the blue color.



I think the Erica (Heather) thinks it's spring. It doesn't usualy bloom in fall so I wonder if it will still flower in April.



Still one of my favourite perennials, Euphorbia amygdaloides robbeia can't be beat for deep green foliage.


It sometimes looks like a forgotten houseplant, but the spotted Aucuba looks great right through winter.


Farfugium Kaimon Dake is a new addition to the garden. I had a yellow spotted form years ago but it died after about five winters. Maybe this one is stronger.

And the Leucothoe Margie Jenkins is also bracing for it's first Canadian winter. I think it will be fine.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Tony,

    Nice pictures and description!

    I have newly joined this blog's fan club. I am so happy to see information relating to my own madness! (I have a Masters in Horticulture from Hungary - from 20 years ago though - and just moved to Oakville to try to kill some unfortunate ones...)

    Good luck and talk to you later.

    Regards,
    Robert

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tony,It's Stephanie ( my sister is Kara with the Tiki Bar) from Burlington. We're wondering when the "good stuff" is going to start arriving, and if you have any hardy tropicals in now. Hope you had a great winter, we'll see you soon!!! (can't wait!, need to get in the garden!)stephanie knegt... skknegt@hotmail.com or 289 337 1866. Thanks

    ReplyDelete